Thursday, June 13, 2013

June 2013 Update-Outreach Begins Tomorrow and Study on Spiritual Gifts Continues

Tomorrow I will be assisting with, Lord willing, in an outreach headed by a friend of mine who was a pastor.  There is going to be a kick off BBQ tomorrow night and the Bible study begins on Saturday.  My friend will be teaching through the book of John, over the course of several weeks, to those invited from near by apartments who decided to attend.  Another friend of mine did the hard work of inviting everyone she could from her apartment complex to come.  It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
 
While that is going on I am going to begin exercising my spiritual gift(s) and begin writing lessons on the book of Romans.  Once that is completed, the book of Matthew.  Depending on whether the lessons are used, I will consider doing the same with the book of Hebrews and Isaiah.  I also want to complete Bible lessons that go through the major themes of the Bible which could be used for the benefit of Christians and for evangelism purposes.
 
Since it is a topic that I am passionate about, I am continuing to study on the subject of spiritual gifts.  I just completed reading D.A. Carson's book, "Showing the Spirit".  The book confirmed to me many of the convictions I have concerning the spiritual gifts including the idea that there is no Biblical warrant for writing off the gift of tongues completely.  Carson made the point that the gift of tongues is primarily a gift used in prayer, since it is addressed to God.  This seems to address the fact that there seems to be more than just the former International Mission Board President that spoke a "private prayer language" in their devotions.  The anecdotal evidence seems to be that there are those who speak tongues primarily in prayer.  The book addressed the idea that God sovereignly distributes spiritual gifts but that Paul also encourages believers to seek the gift of prophecy (1 Corinthians 14:1).  This reminded me of Jesus' admonition, "seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be open to you", in that we are commanded to pray diligently and ask Him of things even though He is sovereign and already knows what He is going to do.  I believe that all Christians have permanent spiritual gifts but that we may ask God for some gifts to be used on a temporary basis.  The distinction between permanent and temporary gifts was not made in Carson's book but it seemed to be hinted at.  Anecdotal evidence also seems to suggest that Christians may use gifts on a temporary basis.  I believe that I am an example of a Christian that had some gifts on a temporary basis.  It seems that my permanent gift is the gift of teaching.  I seemed to have had the gift of discernment and prophecy on a temporary basis since I have not used the gifts in a long while.  I have always been passionate about exposing false teachings even to this present day.  There has not been any time recently when the Lord gave me the words to say to encourage any church I attended since my first church.  I ask for gifts since I have this burden to be useful in contributing to the spread of the gospel, and I believe that my calling to "preach the Lord to everyone" is still valid.   Perhaps the gifts I presently have are all I need to fulfill the call.
 
Lately I have been reflecting a lot on what I long for the most, having a more intimate relationship with the Lord.  I am thankful for everything He is doing to free me from the false ideas I had about Him, for example, thinking that He does not want to be as close to me as He would other believers.  I am still struggling to trust that He loves me as He say He does, but there are times when I am more aware that He is actively at work in my life to open my eyes to see Him for who He is more clearly.  He recently freed me from a bad job situation very rapidly, causing me to thank Him for hearing my cries for mercy and quickly coming to my aid.  The way that the situation went also caused me to fear Him more in that He takes does not take it lightly when professing believers refuse to hear His words.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hello, I am so glad to see you continue on although of course it will always be a struggle, but thank the Lord because He struggled too and shows us that it is through Him that we overcome the world through service of laying down our lives.

We all need His strength to go on and to find those open doors, and to find the words He wants us to say, to speak words of light in this darkness.

Committed Christian said...

Thank you Susan, it is indeed difficult to follow the Lord but He is pleased with the effort done in faith and love. And I want to grow to be a Christian that continues to serve Him eagerly out of faith and love. I cannot let people discourage me anymore. I need to love the Lord most of all.

Steve Finnell said...

CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD?

What is the meaning of calling on the name of the Lord? Many assume that believing in Jesus and saying a form of a sinner's prayer constitutes, calling on the name of the Lord. The problem with that theory is none of the conversions under the New Covenant support that assumption. Not one time is anyone ever told to believe and say the sinner's prayer in order to be saved.

The apostle Peter on the Day of Pentecost quoted the prophet Joel, Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." (NKJV)

The apostle Peter preached the first gospel sermon under the New Covenant. Peter did not tell the 3000 converts to believe and say the sinner's prayer.

Peter preached the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. He preached Jesus as both Lord and Christ. When they heard this they asked Peter and the rest of the brethren what they should do?(Acts 2:22-37) Peter told them what to do. Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(NKJV)

How did the 3000 on the Day of Pentecost call on the name of the Lord and become saved?
1. They believed that Jesus was both Lord and Christ.
2. They believed that God raised Jesus from the grave.
3. They repented. Repentance is a change of heart. Repentance means to be converted so that God may forgive your sins. Repentance is to make the intellectual commitment to turn from sin and turn toward God. (Acts 3:19, Acts 2:38)
4. They were immersed in water (baptized) so that their sins could be forgiven.

How did the 3000 on the Day of Pentecost not call on the name of the Lord?
1. They did not say a sinner's prayer.
2. Not one person was asked to pray for forgiveness.
3. Not one single man was told to be baptized as a testimony of his faith.
4. No one was told that water baptism was a just an act of obedience.
5. No one was informed they were saved the very minute they believed.
6. Not one person was told that water baptism was not essential for the forgiveness of sins.
7. Not one person was told to be baptized so they could join a denominational church.

Jesus said he that believes and is baptized shall be saved. (Mark 16"16) Jesus did not say he who believes and says a sinner's prayer shall be saved.


You ARE INVITED TO READ MY BLOG POSTINGS--Steve Finnell